German proficiency requirements
1. In addition to the artistic entrance exam, all applicants from non-German speaking countries must give proof of sound German language skills equivalent to level B2 as defined by the Common European Framework Reference for languages (CEFR).
2. Such proof may be given by providing CEFR certificates* or the following equivalent German proficiency certificates.
* CEFR certificates may not be older than two years unless applicant has taken up studies or acquired recognized vocational qualification in Germany immediately after the German proficiency examination.
- CEFR certificates (level B 2 or higher)
- Goethe Institute
- Central Advanced Language Test (Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung – ZOP)
- Minor German Language Diploma (Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom – KDS)
- Major German Language Diploma (Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom – GDS)
- Test for German as a Foreign Language (Deutsch als Fremdsprache – TestDaF): level 3
- German language examination for university admission of foreign applicants (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber – DSH): Level I
(Please note: HfMT does not offer DSH-testing opportunities.)
- German language diploma examination of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz – DSD): Level I
3. Exceptional rule
Who cannot provide proof of good German language skills, will only be admitted to study under the condition, that he or she can submit a certificate of good German language skills on level B2 of the common European framework, with a bachelor degree program until the end of the third semester and in a Master's program until the end of the first semester.
If the certificate is not being handed in till the deadline mentioned in clause 1, the student is exmatriculated.
For the Bachelor students it is obligatory, at least within the first two semesters, to visit, in addition to the courses of the core module, the language course “German for Musicians” at the Hamburg conservatory in order to acquire the language certificate (www.hamburger-konservatorium.de).
The course aims to enable the students to acquire the certificate of good German, music oriented language skills at level B2, which is a prerequisite for being qualified to study at the HfMT.
During the first two semesters only courses of the core module (“Kernmodul”), the artistic optional module (“künstlerisches Wahlmodul”) and the procurance module (“Vermittlungsmodul”) may be visited. The courses of music theory and musicology modules can only be assigned from the third semester on after the acquisition of the required language skills.
The course is subject to charges and has to be paid by the students. The fee is approximately 1,100€ per semester.
Applicants for a higher semester must submit proof of good Germany language skills (level B2) with the application.
Thereof differing rules are regulated in the examination regulations of the concerned programs.
4. Students who have given proof according section 1 and 2 but yet, in the course of their studies, prove to be unable to sufficiently follow class may be required to attend a recommended language course.